ALL PIECES DUE 3 PM ON OCT. 16
Slug: Zoo Miami’s hurricane clean up wraps up as it prepares to reopen
Writer: Elizabeth Soza
Length: 12-20 images
Summary: Zoo Miami has remained closed since before Hurricane Irma hit South Florida. The zoo has sustained a lot of landscape damage, which is essential to the animal’s enclosures. Many of the animals are being released to their enclosures. The zoo prepares to reopen on October 14, offering 50% off entry and giving out free sunglasses for the first 1,000 people. I will photograph before reopening and the day they reopen.
Slug: Breast Cancer Awareness
Writer: Shanise Wallace, Olivia Napoles
Length: 200 words
Art: Video – from Olivia Napoles and Shanise Wallace
Summary: On Saturday October 14th, the Susan G Komen Race for Cancer will be held in Miami, Florida. The goal is to race 1.5 million dollars and bring awareness. 75% of the proceeds will go to the community such as Screening, diagnosis and treatment services. The other 25% will go to national priorities like Screening, diagnosis and treatment services.
Slug: Grovetober Fest, Miami’s biggest Octoberfest Celebration
Writer: Adrian Dominguez
Length: 10-20 Digital Images
Summary: with over 500 beers being served, Grovetober fest is back in Miami to celebrate the globally recognized month of celebration known as Oktöberfest. With German inspired live music, food, art, and yes beer, the festival is a fantastic day to unwind and enjoy a sense of community amongst hurricane fatigued Miamians including local brewmasters showcasing their own selection of ales and lagers.
Slug: Food that can prevent from headaches
Writer: Adriana Finol
Length: 400 words
Summary: Following experts to tell more about types of food that can help prevent from headaches. This includes providing healthy options, especially for students.
Slug: Miami Music Scene: Boogie-Oogie at Fish House
Writer: Jessica Barrios
Length: 300-400 words
Art: Photographs (will take photos myself)
Summary: Let’s dwell deep into the local Miami music scene with bands such as Hometown Losers, Reede and Company, Pandorama and more. Fish House’s Boogie Oogie will feature EP releases from these local bands. Mystic Joint in Cutler Bay will be hosting a benefit concert. This article will cover how the local music scene finds a way to keep their music up and how they make their audience grow.
Oogie Boogie @ Fish House – Friday Oct. 13 at 7pm
Benefit Concert @ Mystic Joint – Saturday Oct. 14 at 6pm
Slug: FEMA recovery center opens in Sunrise
Writer: Victoria Salas
Length: 500 words
Summary: FEMA has just opened a recovery center in Sunrise to deal with issues stemming from Hurricane Irma. We do a follow-up from what the Sun Sentinel has already written perhaps focuses on how the agency is helping small businesses get back on its feet.
Budget Line: Seafood Festival at Miami Marines Stadium ; 2017
Writer: Paige Fleming
Summary: The Miami Marine Stadium will be opening its gates to all of South Florida, by hosting its very own seafood festival on October 21st – 22nd. It has been years since the actual gates of the Miami Marine Stadium opening for all people to enjoy a day in the park. After years of encasement, the question “Why” is raving through all of South Florida, waiting for answers. The event will be held in Coconut Grove, where Florida’s diverse culture resides. What better way to start off the Stone Crab season, than to enjoy it with family and friends? Fresh sea food, mojito bars, wine lounges and LIVE Caribbean music will create the perfect ambiance, with endless entertainment.
Slug: The thought behind the shooting
Writer: Natalia Molina & Olivia Napoles
Length: 500-600 words
Art: Yes, Photographs
Summary: This article will present three interviews to people who owe, work and play at the shutting range called Lock & Load Miami which, is located in South Florida’s premier. We want to discover the reaction they had after the mass shooting in Las Vegas on October 1, 2017, at the Route 91 Harvest country music festival. The main idea is to understand why people are interested in this kind of places, what is their reaction after the massacre and what do they think about it. How are they feeling, do they think there is a correlation between doing it for fun and turning it into a “real game” that can have further consequences. We want to see how people who pay to be in these places feel about the current situation with mass shootings and gun possession.