Class Notes – Sept. 12
Here are the slides from today’s class [PDF]. Please remember I need the following from you by the start of next class:
- Full name, address and date of birth (candidates only)
- Call the City Clerk and confirm you have all the names and ballot measures
Use this list as a starting point [PDF], but realize it needs to be confirmed.
You are also going to need to get a high-resolution photo of the candidates, but that will not be until the actual deadlines, which are different for each team. Here are those cities/teams:
- Key Biscayne (Michelle / Rodrigo) – Due Sept. 19 @12 pm
- South Miami (Brandon / Cassandra) – Due Sept. 23 @ 12 pm
- Palmetto Bay (Lizandra / Yaneli / Dee) – Oct. 7 @ 12 pm
- Pinecrest (Alexandra / Leo) – Due Sept. 30 @ 12 pm
- N. Miami Beach (Diana / Jamie) – Due Oct. 14 @ 12 pm
Check the class sides for more information about the candidates and measures in your assigned city. In addition, here are some other resources to help you on your way:
- City Clerk info: https://www.miamidade.gov/elections/library/reports/municipal-clerks.pdf
- Florida Voter Database: http://flvoters.com/
The City Clerk of your assigned city will be able to confirm the full names of the candidates, and should be able to confirm the age and DOB as well. If you run into problems, however, you can also use the Florida Voter Database, which is a list of all voters names, addresses and dates of birth. If you use this, however, attempt to reach out to the candidates directly (you’ll need to do this anyhow) to confirm.
For a deeper understanding on how these stories should be written, use these real-life examples as a guide [PDF]